- Create a replica by burnishing tape on a surface and insert into instrument. 3D imagery and 2D/3D parameters are displayed in seconds!
- Reports common parameters: Ra, Rq, Rz, Rp, Rv, Rt, Rpc (2D), and Sa, Sq, Sz, Sp, Sv, and Spd (3D)
- Ideal for field or laboratory use; flat, curved or irregular surfaces
- Certified and traceable to an accredited national laboratory
- Download 3D .SDF image files for analysis in included PosiSoft or third party software
- Measures peak height (HL) and common 2D/3D profile parameters such as Ra, Rz, Sq, Spd and more
- High contrast, color LCD
- Enhanced one-handed menu navigation
- RESET feature instantly restores factory settings
- Solvent, acid, oil, water and dust resistant - weatherproof
- Rugged indoor/outdoor instrument – ideal for field or laboratory use; flat, curved or irregular surfaces
- Shock-absorbing, protective rubber holster with belt clip
- Two year warranty on gage body AND probe
- Certificate of Calibration (containing Ra and Rt measurements) showing traceability to an accredited national laboratory included
- Conforms to national and international standards including ISO and ASTM
- Selectable display languages
- High contrast LCD with backlit display
- Flip display enables right-side-up viewing
- Uses alkaline or rechargeable batteries (built-in charger)
- Mils/Microns switchable
- Calculates and records all fourteen 2D and 3D parameters (below) with each measurement
- Screen Capture – save screen images for record keeping and review
- Sealed USB port for fast, simple connection to a PC and to supply continuous power. USB cable included
- PosiSoft USB Drive - stored readings and graphs can be accessed using universal PC/Mac web browsers or file explorers. No software required.
- Every stored measurement is date and time stamped
- Software Solutions for viewing, analyzing & reporting data
- Apply short and long cutoff filters and discard lengths to optimize the analysis for a specific application
- Orient the 2D trace between horizontal, vertical and diagonal (XY, YX)
- Every stored measurement is date and time stamped
Standard ModelsIncludes ALL features shown above plus...
- Storage of 250 readings per probe - stored readings can be viewed or downloaded
Advanced ModelsIncludes ALL features shown above plus...
- Storage of 100,000 readings in up to 1,000 batches and sub-batches
- Live graphing of measurement data
- Download high resolution Surface Data Files (.SDF) for analysis in the included PosiSoft or third-party software
- Generates two dimensional (2D) and three dimensional (3D) thumbnail images Ideal for inclusion into reports and confirming consistent blasting results
- WiFi technology wirelessly synchronizes with PosiSoft.net and downloads software updates
- Bluetooth 4.0 Technology for data transfer to a mobile device running the PosiTector App or optional portable printer. BLE API available for integration into third-party software
- Onscreen Batch Annotation—add notes, change batch names and more with built-in QWERTY keyboard
Preparation of both the surface to be tested and the PosiTector RTR 3D are necessary before performing the test.
To prepare surface:
- Use cleaning putty to remove dust, debris, or residual blast media from the measurement site by firmly pressing the putty onto surface to be tested using your fingers and remove
- Clean anvils and camera lens using included cleaning card. Swipe card through opening a few times while firmly pressing both probe buttons to remove dust
- Zero probe and verify accuracy with included shim
- Ensure correct grade of replica tape is displayed in upper left hand corner of LCD
Testex Press-O-Film™ replica tape consists of a layer of compressible foam affixed to an incompressible polyester film of highly uniform thickness. When pressed against a surface, the foam forms an impression, or reverse replica, of the surface. For best results when acquiring 2D/3D parameters and images from the PosiTector RTR 3D, it is recommended to use the supplied burnishing ball instead of the stainless-steel burnishing tool.
- Adhere the replica tape to the surface to be burnished
- Holding the ball in two hands using your index fingers and thumbs, place the ball on the replica tape
- Gently roll the ball over the tape while viewing the burnished tape through the clear ball. Adjust the force applied to the ball until a replica of the surface begins to appear on the tape
- Continue to roll the ball until the tape is completely burnished (at least 30 seconds)
After placing the compressed tape (replica) into the PosiTector RTR 3D a light-intensity versus thickness algorithm is used to produce a three dimensional (3D) image of the replicated surface.
- Insert the burnished replica tape into the measurement opening. Ensure the tape is properly positioned so that the burnished region is centered within the opening in the probe with the adhesive (sticky) side down.
- To position the tape, move the Testex™ Press-O-Film™ replica tape to the back of the probe and align the two dots (printed on replica tape) with arrows on both sides of the measurement opening.
- Once positioned, firmly press both probe buttons simultaneously and hold until the PosiTector RTR 3D beeps and the measurement is displayed.
|Measuring Range (H)|
20 - 115 µm
0.8 - 4.5 mils
|Measuring Range (Rt)|
10 - 115 µm
0.4 - 4.5 mils
|Measuring Roughness (Ra)|
± 5 µm
± 0.2 mil
± (5 µm + 5%)
± (0.2 mil + 5%)
± (0.25 µm + 5%)
± (0.01 mil + 5%)
|Field of View|
3.8 x 3.8 mm
0.149 x 0.149 inch
100 nm - 2D/3D
10 nm - SDF
3.93 µin - 2D/3D
0.393 µin - SDF
No. Our instruments are designed for simple operation, feature easy-to-use menus, both full and quick instruction manuals, and helpful videos. In lieu of demonstration models, we provide unlimited technical support via telephone and/or email, and a limited 30-day money back guarantee.
Replica tape is a long-known method for characterizing a surface. It is simple, relatively inexpensive and shows good correlation with results from other methods. It has the advantages of ruggedness, relatively low start-up cost, good repeatability and the option of retaining a physical replica of the surface being evaluated. The method is widely used and widely understood. It is particularly useful for measurements on curved surfaces that are difficult to measure directly with other instruments. It is therefore not surprising that it has become the most popular field method for measuring surface profile. Its operation is described in a number of international standards including ASTM D4417, ISO 8503-5, NACE SP0287, and AS 3894.5.
The PosiTector RTR 3D arrives fully calibrated and ready to measure. A Long-Form Certificate of Calibration traceable to NIST is included, which documents actual Rt and Ra readings taken by your instrument at our calibration laboratory on standards traceable to a national metrology institute. Beware of ‘Certificates’ or ‘Certificates of Conformance’ offered by competitors. These typically do not include actual instrument readings, and are often insufficient to meet common quality requirements.
For most applications, Optical Grade XC is the appropriate tape grade. The PosiTector RTR 3D has been calibrated using the Optical Grade XC tape and the XC tape setting. When measuring 2D and 3D parameters, Optical Grade XC should be used. When measuring peak to valley height using the H parameter, it is possible to use either Optical or Regular C and XC tape.
A black and white two dimensional (2D) image is essentially a photograph of the burnished tape. It reveals a pattern of dark and light spots similar to what you might see if you put the replica tape in front of a light source. The bright areas are higher compressed tape (peaks) and dark areas are lower compressed tape (valleys). This image can be exported for inspection reports. Advanced models only.
The PosiTector RTR 3D uses a light intensity versus thickness algorithm to produce three dimensional (3D) images of the replicated surface. A low-resolution color image is quickly generated and displayed on the PosiTector which can also be exported into inspection reports. Advanced models only.
The FREE PosiSoft Desktop software provides a simple, easy to use interface to import and analyze high-resolution .sdf files generated by the PosiTector RTR 3D. Within PosiSoft Desktop, a trace from the 3D plot can be analyzed, filtering settings can be modified, and 2D and 3D parameters can be viewed. If more detailed analysis is required, DeFelsko recommends OmniSurf and OmniSurf 3D produced by Digital Metrology (www.digitalmetrology.com).
Positector RTR 3D measures 2D/3D Parameters and Imaging, Standard Model - RTR3D1-E
Positector RTR 3D measures 2D/3D Parameters and Imaging, Advanced Model - RTR3D3-E
Replica Tape Reader, 2D/3D Parameters and Imaging Probe - Requires Positector Display - PRBRTR3D
Cleaning Putty, 5 pieces
Cleaning Card, 20 pieces
Optical Grade Coarse Replica Tape for RTR-3D, 50 impressions per roll. 20 to 64 microns (0.8 to 2.5 mils)
Optical Grade X-Coarse Replica Tape for RTR-3D, 50 Impressions per Roll, 40 to 115 microns (1.5 to 4.5 mils )
Replica Tape Holder (5)
Certified 2 shim set - 75 and 125µm (3 and 5 mil) for calibration of Replica Tape Reader
Rechargeable Battery Pack for PosiTector® 6000 Display
Bluetooth Printer for PosiTector Series Gauges
10 Rolls of Paper for the Bluetooth Printer (PRINTERBT)
AC Power Adapter, 100-230V for PosiTector 6000 Display
Protective Lens Shields, Pack of 5 for PosiTector® 6000 Display
Pd Check Tape