Accuracy: ± (5 microns + 5%) / ± (0.2 mil + 5%)
The Positector SPG Surface Profile Gage is a precise, rugged tester designed to measure and record peak to valley surface profile heights.
The PT-SPG is available in Standard (SPG1) or Advanced (SPG3) configuration. The standard model has a hi contrast color display, 250 reading memory and USB data output. The Advanced model offers Storage of 100,000 readings in up to 1,000 batches and sub-batches, Scan Mode, Real-Time Graphing, WiFi, Bluetooth output and more.
- Fast measurement rate of over 50 readings per minute - ideal for quickly and accurately measuring surface profile over large, flat surface areas
- Enhanced one-handed menu navigation
- RESET feature instantly restores factory settings
- Alumina wear face and tungsten carbide tip for long life and continuous accuracy – field replaceable
- Solvent, acid, oil, water and dust resistant – weatherproof
- Rugged, outdoor/indoor instrument - ideal for field or shop use
- Shock-absorbing, protective rubber holster with belt clip and wrist strap
- Two (2) year warranty on body and probe
- Built-in temperature compensation ensures measurement accuracy
- Long form Certificate of Calibration showing traceability to PTB included
- Glass Zero Plate and metal check shim included
- Conforms to national and international standards including ASTM D4417 Method B and SSPC-PA17
- PosiTector body accepts all PosiTector 6000, 200, DPM, UTG, RTR and SPG probes easily converting from a coating thickness gage to a dew point meter, surface profile gage or wall thickness gage
- 30° angle interchangeable probe tip available for special surface profile applications
- Selectable display languages
- Hi Contrast backlit display for bright or dark environments
- Flip display enables right-side-up viewing
- Uses alkaline or rechargeable batteries (built-in charger)
- Continually displays/updates average, standard deviation, min/max thickness and number of surface profile readings
- HiLo alarm audibly and visibly alerts when measurements exceed user-specified limits
- Every stored measurement is date and time stamped
- Screen Capture -record and save image into USB flash memory for record keeping and review
- USB port for fast, simple connection to a PC and to supply continuous power. USB cable included
- PosiSoft solutions for viewing, analyzing & reporting data:
- PosiSoft USB Drive -stored readings and graphs can be accessed using universal PC/ Mac web browsers or file explorers. No software required
- PosiSoft.net account - a free web-based application offering secure storage of thickness readings
- PosiSoft 3.0 - desktop software (PC/Mac) for downloading, viewing, printing and storing measurement data. Available as a free download.
- PosiSoft Mobile -(Advanced models only) - access readings, graphs, capture photos and update notations through WiFi enabled devices such as tablets, smart phones and computers
- Software updates via web keep your gage current
Step 1: Select a body
|Feature Comparison Chart||Basic (1)||Memory (3)|
|Hi Contrast LCD Display||
|FAST mode - faster measurement speed for quick inspection|
|SCAN Mode - take continuous readings without lifting the probe||-|
|Hi-Lo limits audibly and visibly alerts when measurements exceed your specified limits|
|Instantly calculate average, standard deviation, min/max thickness and number of readings while measuring|
|Reading Storage Capacity||250 in one group||100,000 in up to 1000 groups|
|SSPC PA2 feature set determines if film thickness over a large area conforms to user-specified min/max levels||-|
|PSPC 90/10 feature determines if a coating system complies with an IMO performance standard for protective coatings||-|
|Onscreen help, real time graphing, picture prompting and batch notes||-|
|Multiple stored calibration adjustments for measuring on a variety of substrate conditions||-|
|Wireless Technology for data transfer to a PC or optional portable printer||-|
Step 2: Select Probe Style
|SPG||SPG S||SPG CS||SPG TS|
|Built-in Probe||Cabled Probe|
|Probe Order Code||PRBSPG||PRBSPGS||PRBSPGCS||PRBSPGTS|
|Application||Blasted Steel||Blasted Steel||Textured Coatings||Concrete Surface Profile|
|Measuring Range||0 - 500 µm
0 - 20 mils
|0 - 500 µm
0 - 20 mils
|0 - 1500 µm
0 - 60 mils
|0 – 6 mm
0 – 250 mils
|Accuracy||± (5 µm + 5%)
± (0.2 mil + 5%)
|± (5 µm + 5%)
± (0.2 mil + 5%)
|± (5 µm + 5%)
± (0.2 mil + 5%)
|± (25 μm + 1%)
± (1 mil + 1%)
|Tip||Angle||60 degree*||60 degree*||60 degree||60 degree|
All probes feature durable Alumina wear face and tungsten carbide tip for long life and continued accuracy.
|Measuring Range||0 to 500 um (0 - 20 mils)|
PT-SPGCS Models: 0 to1500 um (0 - 60 mils)
|Accuracy||+ (0.2 mils + 5%)|
+ (5 microns + 5%)
|Dimensions||137 x 61 x 28 mm (5.4" x 2.4" x 1.1")|
|Weight||140 g (4.9 oz.) without batteries|
|Conforms to||ASTM D4417-B, AS 3894.5-C (with optional 30° tip angle), U.S. Navy NSI 009-32, SANS 5772 and others|
The spring pressure is slightly greater than the SPG TS to allow adequate seating of the tip in the profile. Keep in mind that no standards exist for such a method, so we designed the pressure based on our internal tests.
Is the PosiTector SPG TS traceable to PTB or NIST?
All PosiTector SPG probes including the SPG TS are traceable to PTB.
Do your instruments require any formal training for use? Do you offer ‘demo’ models?
No. Our instruments are designed for simple operation, feature easy-to-use menus, both full and quick instruction manuals, and helpful videos. In lieu of demonstration models, we provide unlimited technical support via telephone and/or email, and a limited 30-day money back guarantee.
Is the PosiTector SPG calibrated at the factory?
The PosiTector SHD arrives fully calibrated and ready to measure. A Long-Form Certificate of Calibration traceable to NIST or PTB is included, which documents actual readings taken by your instrument at our calibration laboratory on standards traceable to a national metrology institute. Beware of ‘Certificates’ or ‘Certificates of Conformance’ offered by competitors. These typically do not include actual instrument readings, and are often insufficient to meet common quality requirements.
Gage accuracy and correct operation can be verified using the included metal shim and glass zero plate.
Can I measure curved surfaces with the PosiTector SPG?
To measure accurately, the PosiTector SPG’s probe foot must contact the surface over its entire area. On tightly curved surfaces, the edges of the probe do not sit on the surface, skewing the readings.
Our PosiTector SPG instruments conform to Method B as described by ASTM D 4417 "Standard Test Methods for Field Measurement of Surface Profile of Blast Cleaned Steel". The entirety of ASTM D 4417 specifically references flat, blasted steel surfaces. As such, any depth micrometer instrument used to measure the surface profile of a curved, blasted steel surface does not conform to ASTM D 4417.
Replica tape is ideal for recording the blast profile of curved surfaces, and manufacturers recommend the PosiTector RTR Replica Tape Reader instrument as a reliable measurement alternative.
Can the PosiTector SPG be used on non-metallic substrates?
Yes! While primarily used to measure blasted steel, the PosiTector SPG can be used for many applications. The PosiTector SPG TS and PosiTector SPG CS also feature an extended range and larger radius probe tip to suit a wide range of applications:
-The PosiTector SPG CS will quickly and accurately measure the surface profile of textured coatings.
-The PosiTector SPG TS will quickly and accurately measure the surface profile of concrete.
Why are there 30˚ and 60˚ tips for the PosiTector SPG?
The PosiTector SPG uses a durable tungsten carbide tip for long life and continuous accuracy. If required, SPG probe tips can be replaced by the gage operator.
-The 60° tip complies with most test standards including ASTM D 4417 B.
-30° tips are available for conformance to Australian standard AS 3994.5-C.
Can the PosiTector SPG be moved over the surface to provide a ‘scan’?
No. The PosiTector SPG is a depth-micrometer instrument which quickly and accurately measures and records peak-to-valley surface profile heights on a blasted steel surface.
Like other instruments of this type, the PosiTector SPG is not dragged across a blasted surface: the gage operator takes an individual reading in one location on a surface, lifts and places the gage on another location on the surface for another individual reading, and so on.
Does the PosiTector SPG measure pit depth
No. Pit gages are a general category of instruments used to measure pits and other surface variations. The PosiTector SPG is specifically designed to measure and record peak-to-valley surface profile heights on a blasted steel surface.
Should I purchase the PosiTector RTR or PosiTector SPG for my application?
Both instruments conform to ASTM D 4417 "Standard Test Methods for Field Measurement of Surface Profile of Blast Cleaned Steel".
The PosiTector SPG conforms to Method B of ASTM D 4417. The PosiTector SPG measures quickly, and has no per-test cost. It keeps a digital record of each measurement, is less operator dependent, as no burnishing of replica tape is required. It also has a greater range than replica tape.
The PosiTector RTR conforms to Method C of ASTM D 4417. It is used together with Testex Replica tape, a widely used and respected method to measure surface profile. It has the ability to measure on curved surfaces, and gives the user the option to retain the replica tape; a physical replica of the tested surface.
How often should the PosiTector probe be recalibrated?
PosiTector probes include a Certificate of Calibration with no expiry or end date. They have no shelf life, therefore the length of time in the field is not a good indicator for recalibration intervals. Many organizations with quality programs and recertification programs require annual recalibrations, and this is a good starting point for most users. Manufacturers recommend that customers establish calibration intervals based upon their own experience and work environment. Based on our product knowledge, data and customer feedback, a one year calibration interval from the date the instrument was placed in service is a good starting point.
Surface Profile Gauge with Built-In Probe, Standard Kit - SPG1-G
Surface Profile Gauge with Built-in Probe, Advanced Kit - SPG3-G
Surface Profile Gauge, Separate Probe, Standard Kit - SPGS1-G
Surface Profile Gauge, Separate Probe, Advanced Kit - SPGS3-G
Surface Profile Gauge, Separate C Probe, Standard Kit - SPGCS1-G
Surface Profile Gauge, Separate C Probe, Advanced Kit - SPGCS3-G
Surface Profile Gauge, Separate TS Probe, Standard Kit - SPGTS1-G
Surface Profile Gauge, Separate TS Probe, Advanced Kit - SPGTS3-G
Surface Profile Gauge, Separate OS Probe, Standard Kit - SPGOS1-G
Surface Profile Gauge, Separate OS Probe, Standard Kit - SPGOS3-G
PosiTector® Built-in Surface Profile Probe with 60 Degree Tip 0 - 500 µm (0 -20 mils) - PRBSPG-B
PosiTector® Built-in Surface Profile Probe with 30 Degree Tip 0 - 500 µm (0 -20 mils)
PosiTector® Cabled Surface Profile Probe with 60 Degree Tip 0 - 500 µm (0 -20 mils) - PRBSPGS-B
PosiTector® Cabled Surface Profile Probe with 30 Degree Tip 0 - 500 µm (0 -20 mils)
PosiTector® Cabled Surface Profile Probe with 60 Degree Tip 0 - 1500 µm (0 -60 mils) - PRBSPGCS-B
PosiTector® Cabled Surface Profile Probe with 60 Degree Tip 0 - 6 mm (0 - 250 mils) - PRBSPGTS-B
PosiTector® Cabled Surface Profile Probe for 3mm+ flat of convex services, 0 - 500 µm (0 - 20 mils) - PRBSPGOS-B
Replacement 60 Degree Tip
Replacement 60 Degree C Tip
Replacement 30 Degree Tip
Replacement Tip for TS Probe
Glass Plate and Shim
Certified SPG Standards